Tuesday 12 June 2012

Red Velvet Cupcakes

When I first heard about red velvet cupcakes I really didn't see their appeal. It takes a lot of food colouring to make cake red... although the examples I'd seen on the internet did look rich and delicious. Despite some reservations I decided to try them because I'd heard that red velvet cake goes well with cream cheese frosting and cream cheese frosting is the best. I used this recipe from taste.com.



The recipe didn't turn out a red as some of the ones I'd seen and I used a whole (small) bottle of colouring. My theory is that I baked them a little too long and the outside became browner than desired. They were very red on the inside however. I took the cakes to work and unfortunately they were gone before I could take a picture of a bitten one. At least they were a success at the morning tea!


This was probably the most successful batch of cupcakes I've made, but I think that had more to do with the buttermilk used in the batter and the cream cheese frosting than the red food colouring. I think most people at morning tea thought they were chocolate cup cakes... oh well! They all said the icing was delicious :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment