Monday 2 April 2012

Hot Cross Buns

It's Easter time! Time for chocolate eggs, spending plenty of time with family and... hot cross buns.



I searched for an egg-free hot cross buns recipe and finally settled on this one. Perfect Boyfriend is allergic to eggs, citrus, peanuts and MSG... So I subbed out the mixed peel (and currants, because currants are clearly just second-rate sultanas) for extra sultanas.

This recipe wasn't as moist as other hot cross buns I've made. I don't know if that's down to the absence of eggs or to the lack of fats in the recipe - it is meant to be a healthy recipe and as such it doesn't have much in the way of butter or oil in it.

It wasn't hard to follow the recipe, but there were a lot of resting stages! Don't try this when you only have a few hours before you're leaving the house - I think it took about five hours from start to delicious finish for my little buns. As you can see, the crosses are sloppy-looking. If you try this recipe, I recommend making the cross mixture thicker than the ratios provided. Otherwise you'll have messy crosses like mine. However I did experiment with the glaze (leaving out the gelatine) and it worked just fine.

Best served warm, sliced in half and generously buttered.

No comments:

Post a Comment